The recent surge in ability to access information on-the-go, using Wi-Fi hotspots, has led to increasing security concerns with respect to sensitive personal information being shared on increasingly public servers. VPN’s provide mobile devices such as the iPhone 5, a quick, easy way to safely and securely access the Internet from any location. A VPN secures your iPhone 5 through encryption of data (both received and sent), which reinforces the barrier fending off outside parties that could try to hack into your information.
Diabolical Dark Differences – iOS 6 Versus the Past
When it comes to VPN setup, the newly introduced iOS 6 handles more or less the same as its predecessors. The most serious improvement to the recent iOS (post-iOS 4) is the ability for pertinacious VPN connectivity – VPN’s that remain connected through even idle-screen locks, thus providing for hours of uninterrupted connection at your favorite café (Push notifications for emails need to be enabled for this feature to work). Okay. So they’re not that dark or diabolical.
10 Simple Steps to a “Sans-Stress” VPN Setup for Your iPhone 5
- Step 1 – Locate and tap on the Setting icon on your iPhone 5 interface.
- Step 2 – After tapping on General, and then Network, smoosh your fingertips (click) on the VPN option.
- Step 3 – Go to “Add VPN configuration” and choose PPTP (for additional L2TP information, scroll down)
- >Step 4 – Fill in the required VPN-specific fields. These include –
Description – Choice of your desired VPN connection name (Eg: IheartVPNs.com)
Server Name – Given by your VPN vendor (Eg: connect.iheartVPNs.com)
- Step 5 – Put in the username and password provided by your VPN vendor.
- Step 6 – Set your RSA secure ID to “Off” and make sure your Encryption Level is set to “Auto”
- Step 7 – Set “send all traffic” to “On”
- Step 8 – Save all changes and revert to your iPhone 5’s home screen
- Step 9 – Tap on Settings once more. A VPN Slider Tab should now have appeared (below the Airplane Mode and Wifi tabs). Switch the VPN tab to “ON”
- Step 10 – Sit back, relax and enjoy your hassle-free, hopefully secure VPN. If you have a beer, go ahead – crack that open and give it a sip. Mmm. Delicious.
Follow Steps 1 – 4 listed above for the PPTP connection. At Step 5, however, fill in the field for the “Secret” provided by your VPN vendor as well as your username and password. Continue to follow the remaining Steps (Steps 6 – 10) for PPTP connection. Lo and behold! Your L2TP connection has been set up.
Veritable Variety of VPNs – Veer Away from the Vicious, Vafrous Ones
Always remember to look for a VPN vendor that can provide support for your required iPhone 5 and iOS (PPTP/L2TP). Here is a “smart six” list of our picks for VPNs that rate high on the safety and security scale and yet, are easy on the wallet. Remember to compare all features, short-term/bulk pricing, online reviews and recommendations, and your daily usage requirements before you choose the VPN that’s right for you! Good luck and stay secure!
- Pure VPN – $9.95 per month – $18 per month (standard – unlimited plans)
- Strong VPN – $4.58 per month – $7 per month (3 month – year bulk pricing)
- GoTrusted – $5.99/month
- ibVPN – $4.95 per month – $10.95 per month (torrent – ultimate VPN)
- HideMyAss – $6.55 per month – $11.52 per month (short term – bulk pricing)
- Overplay – $9.95/month (including Smart DNS)
Best VPN Services of 2020
|Editor's Choice 2020|